What is the Alexander Technique?
The Alexander Technique teaches the skilful ‘use of ones self’ (body and mind). It shows us how to become better co-ordinated and balanced, how to move with greater ease, breathe properly and deal with day to day stresses with more thoughtfulness and awareness.
Alexander allows us to change unhelpful neuromuscular habits and patterns of behaviour which result in pain, tension, poor posture, anxiety, depression and lack of vitality.
People choose to have lessons for a variety of reasons:
- To improve performance, manage stage fright and prevent injury in music, drama and sport
- To enhance business and presentation skills
- To help deal with pain, injury, illness or stress
- As rehabilitation after surgery
- To gain greater awareness and poise in day to day life
- To develop coping skills in order to deal with chronic illness and/or life difficulties
By learning to stop interfering with our natural functioning, the Alexander Technique can help anyone to live a more balanced and fulfilling life. It is a highly practical method for self-improvement and self-help. Anyone can benefit and the Technique has been learned and used by people from all walks of life.
How do you learn?